CBPR takes time, resources, commitment and energy of the research partnership to ensure ownership and sustainability. This includes considering the project’s short, medium and long term goals and the impact it will have after the academic researchers have left the partnership.
● Flexibility and commitment to move the partnership and the project forward through both high and low points and to sustain efforts over time
● Ability to encourage sustainability of partnership by investing in and maintaining (a) the partnership, (b) its capacity and resources, (c) infrastructure, and (d) research products
● Skill to engage stakeholders and share plans for sustaining efforts
● Investment in core resources (people, funds, committees, systems)
● Programme activities are either incorporated into the structures of the original organisation, integrated into another institution or government, or the programme itself becomes an autonomous agency such as an independent charitable organisation
*Please note that some statements are adaptations or direct quotes from the papers listed in the reference section